Patch's Past

Bellingham, WA, United States
I'm a shih tzu rescued by my forever mom from a hoarder of dogs when I was about ten years old. I've had a past of abuse by neglect, including a fractured jaw and broken teeth. Now, for the past two years, I've been rescued, rehabilitated and revered. I've had a fitness program, swim therapy, and every kind of supplement imaginable. My arthritis is minimized by weight control, exercise, massage and medication. I am pampered,privileged and petted and now -- I AM GOING TO PARIS.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Deflation

Just when my ego was getting pretty puffed up, it was deflated today, big-time. Mom and I took a very long walk (yes, I walked) down to the river to watch the "bateaux mouches," the tour boats of the Seine, float by, and on the way back stopped for a cafe au lait and croissant. After Mom ordered, she put me up on the chair beside hers because the sidewalk was so dirty. When the waitress came out she asked Mom to REMOVE ME FROM THE CHAIR AND PUT ME ON THE GROUND! Mom said she understood (but she really was a little miffed), and I was completely baffled! Last time I got to sit on the chair. The time before that I got to sit on the chair. What was so special about THIS chair, I'd like to know! I tried to get back on the chair, but Mom wouldn't let me. She said, "I know, but this isn't our country." So I had to sit on the ground while she had her petit dejeuner. She gave me a drink of water in AN ASHTRAY!

While we were sitting there, though, we saw the tall redbone hound and his tall human walk by. They must live in this neighborhood. Last time when we saw them in the Metro I was in my poussette and the man smiled at us. It wasn't even a "You've got to be kidding me!" smile, but a genuine, friendly smile. This time he didn't see us. Probably because I was sitting on the ground.

Tomorrow one of Mom's friends is arriving and the next day we're moving to a larger apartment in another arrondissement, over by le Jardin du Luxembourg, one of Mom's favorite spots. We'll be there for the rest of the time, so...a new apartment to get used to. I wonder if the neighborhood will smell the same as this one does.

We'll miss the nice man in the little grocery store down below this apartment. Mom goes there for things like water, milk, wine, etc. One day she only had a 50 Euro bill and asked if he would prefer to take a credit card, and he said no problem, just pay him tomorrow. The next time she went in and bought a few things, he offered her a piece of chocolate candy (left over from Easter, sitting unwrapped in an open box by the cash register). Mom thanked him, told him how nice it was of him to offer, took the candy and later threw it away. It's the thought that counts. Today, when she went in for her milk and wine, it was 10 Euros and 30 centimes. She gave him a 10 Euro bill and while she was looking for the change, he said no, no that's all right. She started to insist, but he refused to take the change. How gracious.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Patch, Your cafe experience was awful! The nerve of that waitress, making you sit on the ground and drink out of an ashtray!! I hope your mom didn't give her a tip. She probably didn't recognize you without your wheels. Teddy and Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patch, maybe your momma should carry a small baby blank with her so if something like this happens again you can at least sit on something clean. Also, you need a collapsable water bowl so you don't have to use an ashtray - YUCK!

    Why are you moving?

    ReplyDelete