Patch's Past

Bellingham, WA, United States
I'm a shih tzu rescued by my forever mom from a hoarder of dogs when I was about ten years old. I've had a past of abuse by neglect, including a fractured jaw and broken teeth. Now, for the past two years, I've been rescued, rehabilitated and revered. I've had a fitness program, swim therapy, and every kind of supplement imaginable. My arthritis is minimized by weight control, exercise, massage and medication. I am pampered,privileged and petted and now -- I AM GOING TO PARIS.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Arrival in Paris


I do not recommend airline travel. While all the human travelers were being served food with the most mouth-watering smells that wafted down to tickle my nose and initiate a Pavlovian response, I was in my carrier by my Mom's feet. The flight attendants wouldn't even let me stick my head out of the top of the carrier. I fussed a bit the first hour, but then I gave up and either stared accusingly at Mom or slept. By the time we reached CDG airport in Paris, I was famished. I hadn't peed in my carrier and I hadn't peed the couple of times Mom took me into the lavatory and offered me the opportunity to do it on pee pads. I was saving it. As soon as she let me out outside the airport, I lifted my leg and peed all over the carrier!




Not exactly traveling light




When we were driven into the city, the weather was warm and balmy. Mom kept exclaiming how beautiful it was with the trees leafed out in fresh green, not yet having had time to become covered with soot and dust. After we settled into our apartment we took a little stroll around. This place is a nose's paradise! The wealth and abundance of the odors are overwhelming - Mom kept urging me to come along, but it was hard to pass up all those scents. I was almost dizzy from the richness of this sensory experience - all my olfactory glands firing off at the same time! We met a French lady and her dog on the sidewalk - she (the dog) was a blond, curly-haired poodle who was wearing her hair in a longer, natural look. She was quite friendly and we exchanged a few sniffs. The French lady called it the "petit bonjour."

There are lots of trees in Paris and they seem to be divided into two distinct kinds: the one where you can get right up close and sniff who's visited it and the kind that has a sort of barrier around it to keep us dogs away. I prefer the former kind.



No comments:

Post a Comment