Patch's Past

Bellingham, WA, United States
I'm a shih tzu rescued by my forever mom from a hoarder of dogs when I was about ten years old. I've had a past of abuse by neglect, including a fractured jaw and broken teeth. Now, for the past two years, I've been rescued, rehabilitated and revered. I've had a fitness program, swim therapy, and every kind of supplement imaginable. My arthritis is minimized by weight control, exercise, massage and medication. I am pampered,privileged and petted and now -- I AM GOING TO PARIS.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Paris Loves Us!

Today, because it is Easter, Mom decided we would walk from our apartment by the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame Cathedral; she knew we couldn't go inside because I'm a dog, but she wanted to contemplate our Lord's resurrection at one of the oldest houses of God in existence. The parvis in front of the cathedral was filled with thousands of people waiting in line, not to worship, but to climb up the tower. We skirted the crowd and walked through the garden along the length of the cathedral where we were treated by the sonorous ringing of the church bells, first just one, then others chimed in. It was a moment of majesty.

Did you know that:
The big bass bell (the bourdon) is named Emmanuel? It weighs 13 tons and hangs in the south tower. Four bells with different tones hang in the north tower. Until recently the lighter toned bells rang to mark the time of services and the bourdon would only be rung on special occasions, but Notre Dame has a new chief sacristan, Stephan Urbain, who felt the bells should do more. Originally they were rung by foot pedal, but they are now programmed by computer. Urbain has programmed the bells to play bars of familiar hymns, which they now do on religious holidays. On Easter, the bells play the hymn "Regina Coeli Laetare."


The walk (for Mom) and ride (for me) was long, but we went slowly and enjoyed seeing again familiar places. All along the way we met people who looked and, for the most part, smiled at the poussette. Several times someone would stop and chat and tell me I was "jolie" (pretty). We met a large shih tzu on one of the few grassy areas that permitted dogs, but he wasn't very friendly. He didn't even give me a "petit bonjour." And there were the curmudgeons who said, "Tsk, tsk," and one who said, "Mon dieu!" We assumed those were negative comments. But most people thought we were cute.

We had a late lunch on a floating restaurant on the Seine, just across from the Notre Dame Cathedral. Well, Mom had most of the lunch - I just had bites from her plate. She had packed me a lunch of dog food which I had already eaten, but it didn't compare to the salade gargouille that she was having.

We are starting to understand why many of the dogs here look so scruffy. When we get home at the end of the day, Mom always has to wash my feet and undercarriage. They are black and smelly with everything I've been walking through and you don't want to know what that is. Mom is thinking of buying me some shoes.

 These men are playing boules, a game like bocci ball.  You can see their ball bags hanging on the tree.
Mom and I liked to walk along the Esplanade between Les Invalides and Pont Alexandre III



The bouquinistes are booksellers along the river who have wooden stalls that close up when they go home.
Mom bought two posters of glamorous models of yesteryear and their greyhounds in memory of Tanner.

The sun was very bright the day we visited Pont des Arts, a very famous bridge over the Seine that has been painted many times.  Imagine our surprise to find the grillwork covered with...PADLOCKS!  We found out that lovers have been putting them there with their names stenciled on to signify their love.  Then they throw the key in the Seine!  The city of Paris threatened to take them all off, but they just kept coming back.  There's no stopping true love!



Behind me is the Seine with a couple of its barques and peniches.  Some of them still transport goods, but many now transport tourists.  In the distance, on Ile de la Cite, the island in the middle of the river, you can see the statue of the Vert Galant, Henri IV.  The island comes to a point like the prow of a ship and it's a popular place for lovers to sit.


We arrived Easter weekend and the windows of the candy stores were filled with chocolate eggs and bunnies.  One egg was a big as me!

I'm exhausted from our long day. It felt so good to lie here in the sun and watch the soccer players.  I soon fell asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Patch! If you only knew how lucky you are to have heard the bells of Notre Dame on Easter Sunday!

    I will try my best to help get your pictures posted. It's difficult having a mom who can be technically challenged at times. Just count your blessings she's not a complete dolt! ;) I'm trying to figure out now what time will work best for both of us to be on Skype at the same time. I will be in touch!

    ReplyDelete