Patch's Past

Bellingham, WA, United States
I'm a shih tzu rescued by my forever mom from a hoarder of dogs when I was about ten years old. I've had a past of abuse by neglect, including a fractured jaw and broken teeth. Now, for the past two years, I've been rescued, rehabilitated and revered. I've had a fitness program, swim therapy, and every kind of supplement imaginable. My arthritis is minimized by weight control, exercise, massage and medication. I am pampered,privileged and petted and now -- I AM GOING TO PARIS.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

La Poussette

I suffered a bit of jet lag, I guess. I didn't know if it was day or night. We went to bed when the French clock it was 9:00, but my biological clock said it was only noon. I tried waking Mom up three times during the "night," but she just kept saying, "Not yet, Patch." The third time she put me down on the floor and went back to sleep. When she (finally) woke up, I was back on the bed and she started to wonder what I had done while I was awake and she was sleeping. When she got to the area where the pee pads had been laid down and she saw the wet spot, she got all excited and starting praising me lavishly. I don't know what the fuss was all about - isn't that what they were there for?

Mom had been craving REAL croissants - she says nobody, NOBODY, makes croissants like the French do, so we went to a tiny bar cafe and she got to have her cafe au lait and croissants. The petit dejeuner (French breakfast) on the menu only listed one croissant, but she ordered an extra one. The waiter probably cast an eye at her waistline and thought, "That explains it."

After EXPERIENCING the croissants and nearly moaning with pleasure (remember Meg Ryan?) Mom decided to assemble the stroller (la poussette) so we could go to the market street a couple of blocks away. When you're riding off the ground in a market street, the smells are way different. I didn't get much of a thrill at the vegetable stands, but the BAKERY! I could scarcely keep from jumping out of my poussette!

There were lots of dogs at the market - some were French and some were not. I was the only one with a poussette. There was one French Westie there who had not been "bien eleve" as most French dogs are. He was attacking every other dog he passed. We attracted quite a lot of attention, mostly from older men and ladies who would smile (yes, the French do smile) and murmur something. One very distinguished gentleman stopped and chatted with Mom in French a bit. The children loved the poussette and laughed and pointed us out to their moms. One little girl was especially delighted because she had her own poussette for her doll.

By the time we were ready to go back to the apartment, I was scarcely noticeable in the poussette amongst all the purchases Mom had made. Unfortunately, she put the tastier ones in the bottom where I couldn't reach them. But I helped her unload them when we got home.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Patch and mom. The waiter probably cast an eye at her waistline and thought, "That explains it." - BOL, BOL. Momma says she totally understands this. We are enjoying your trip to Paris thus far.

    Coco and Puffy

    ReplyDelete