Patch's Past

Bellingham, WA, United States
I'm a shih tzu rescued by my forever mom from a hoarder of dogs when I was about ten years old. I've had a past of abuse by neglect, including a fractured jaw and broken teeth. Now, for the past two years, I've been rescued, rehabilitated and revered. I've had a fitness program, swim therapy, and every kind of supplement imaginable. My arthritis is minimized by weight control, exercise, massage and medication. I am pampered,privileged and petted and now -- I AM GOING TO PARIS.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fete de la Musique

Today was the annual city-wide music festival in Paris.  All over the city musical groups of all sorts were playing in inside venues but also on street corners, separated only by enough space so as not to interfere with each other.  There were rock bands, reggae, hip-hop, jazz, and Mom's favorite - old peeps' retro.  I had stayed alone for a couple of hours earlier today, so after Mom got home the first time and looked like she was getting ready to leave again, I had to go into action and lay the guilt trip on really heavy.

Maybe I could go in this.
 I sat on her shoes so she couldn't put them on without moving me; I got really excited and jumped up on a kitchen chair when she picked up her purse; I laughed and danced and my eyes twinkled and...it worked!  She took me along to the music festival!  She told me that I'd have to walk a lot since we didn't have a poussette, but I knew she'd give me a lift when I needed it.  First we went to the Jardin du Luxembourg but nothing was happening there yet, so we followed the percussion to a spot just outside the gardens where a motley group of students (?) were playing enthusiastically and pretty much in sync.













  We listened for several numbers and then strolled on toward rue Mouffetard where things got pretty wild.  The narrow, cobblestone street was jammed with people and kids of all ages going in all directions or not moving at all.  Vendors were selling soft drinks, beer and Silly String, a messy combination.  At one point where a heavy metal band was playing and the crowd was especially crazy, we got separated from Mom's friends and never did find them again until we all ended up back at the apartment later.  In the meantime, Mom carried me through the worst of the crowds and when my tail was dragging, and on we went through the cacaphony until we found a group that was playing "our kind of music," where we stopped, sat on the curb for a while, and listened.





This chorale group was singing African music in beautiful harmony.








I was getting really tired and thirsty, and without the poussette, Mom didn't have all of our usual supplies.  Also, she had given her friend her money to carry in her zippered pocket, so when we got separated, we didn't even have any money to stop and get a drink.  Mom did hold me up to one of the famous Wallace fountains that are found all over the city, and I was able to lap up a little before my head got doused.  These green, wrought-iron fountains were donated by an Englishman named Richard Wallace, in 1870, who wanted to supply drinking water for the poor.  The city still maintains them and keeps them  
running except in the winter.





So we started back home, with me walking part of the way and being carried part of the way.  The music is still going on - we can hear the jazz group down on the corner from our apartment.  All in all, it was a pretty interesting experience - practically all of Paris was out on the streets enjoying the warm evening and free music.

1 comment:

  1. The lack of wheels has created some issues but you and momma seem to be handling them well. You're now getting some exercise and momma is toning her upper arms when she carries you - BOL

    ReplyDelete